The Sprinters Body:Sprinting Workouts For A Toned Butt And Thighs

PinExt The Sprinters Body:Sprinting Workouts For A Toned Butt And Thighs

Did you know that sprinting workouts shape a much better lower body than traditional butt and thigh exercises? Have you noticed that the sprinters body almost always has a toned butt and thighs? Lunges, dead lifts, squats, leg extensions, kickbacks, and other rear exercises are typically the norm when wanting to shape the lower body. I am not a big fan of these types of exercises because the lower body has more growth potential than its upper counterpart.  Therefore the inclination to add bulk to the hips, thighs, and butt are more likely than building density. This is why I am a firm believer in directing your efforts into some kind of sprinting workout routine over direct leg work.

Running The Sprinters Body:Sprinting Workouts For A Toned Butt And Thighs

Understanding the Gluteal Fold And Why It Pertains To Sprinting

The transition where the butt meets the hamstring is known as the gluteal fold. A person that has a well developed derriere has a very smooth and clean “glute to hamstring” area. What I mean by “clean” is that the butt should not hang over the hamstrings. When the butt is not developed properly or is carrying too much fat, it tends to sag. You can actually perform a little test to see if your backside needs some work. If you can hold a pencil between the hamstring and butt muscles, then you know your backside is under developed.  To describe the ideal butt while staying within the cleanliness of the site, your backside should be round and full but with a natural lift….not saggy. Sprinting does a fantastic job of lifting the butt without adding size which is crucial for a smooth gluteal fold.

Why I like Sprinting Workouts Over Resistance Training For The Lower Body

I talk a lot about lifting heavy weights for low reps for true muscle tone and density. You won’t gain size as long as you are stopping short of failure and allowing enough time between sets. This goes for both men and women.  Although this principle is true, you can still add mass to the lower body when lifting in this manner. This is due to the higher growth potential in the legs.  Even with lighter weight, squats and dead lifts engage the butt and thighs to a high degree. These two exercises revolved around “time under tension” and this is where muscle mass can develop. This is why I truly believe that sprinting will sculpt and define a much better lower body than resistance training. Sprinting lifts the butt and tightens the thighs without adding bulk.

Cardio Training: Jogging Doesn’t Cut It

Your glutes and legs contract very hard during quick and explosive movements. Jogging doesn’t come close enough to provide the same results. Jogging doesn’t seem to work the butt very well, but sprints do!  Sprinting in an intense manner for short durations provide a lot of quick and hard contractions in the glutes and hamstrings.  Short and quick contractions are key to firming the rear and thighs without gaining mass.

Sprinting Increases HGH

High intensity exercises like sprinting burns major calories after your workout due to the release of human growth hormone (HGH). The metabolic changes in the body are at its greatest under intense exercise and provide the necessary release of the powerful fat burning hormone. This is not the case in less intense activities. Activities like jogging, walking, or normal weight training don’t provide the same benefits. Because of this, you will burn less calories and fat if you don’t include intense exercises along with your current workout routines.

Sprinters Body 300x216 The Sprinters Body:Sprinting Workouts For A Toned Butt And Thighs

HIIT Sprinting Workout Routine On A Treadmill

1) Take a brisk walk on a treadmill for 3-5 minutes to warm up (depending on different treadmills: level 3.0-4.0)

2) Eventually speed up the treadmill for a good jog for about 1-2 minutes (level: 7.0 – 9.0)

3) After 1-2 minutes of jogging speed up the treadmill to a light but still tough sprint. You will run in this manner for 30 seconds.

4) Decrease the speed back down to a light jog (level: 7.0-9.0) for 1-2 minutes. If the jog is still a little difficult then decrease the speed even more to catch your breath.

5) After the 1-2 minutes of jogging, keep increasing the speed until you are all out sprinting for as close to 30 seconds as you can. Note: It is natural to gradually decrease in speed when sprinting for this length of time.

6) Alternate every 1-2 minutes between jogging and sprinting for 20-30 minutes. It is important that you keep the same “light jog” level each time after your sprints. You want to make sure you have ample time to catch your breath and regain enough energy to go as hard as you can for the sprints.

0 The Sprinters Body:Sprinting Workouts For A Toned Butt And Thighs

(Simply amazing. It was awesome to watch him on tv during the Olympics.)

HIIT Sprinting Workout Routine Outdoors

If you have the luxury of running outdoors or on a track then this is ideal. I find it much more enjoyable to be able to breathe in some fresh air than to be stuck inside. If you don’t have a track then do your best to find some smooth pavement that is around two football fields in length. This is a range of 200-250 yards (220-275 meters). The sprinting intervals will be very close to the treadmill but with some minor tweaks.

1) Warm up with a light jog or brisk walk for 3-5 minutes

2) After your warm up, increase your speed to a faster jog for 1-2 minutes. This is done to “prime” the legs. You can extend the time until you feel comfortable to begin sprinting.

3) The running start: You will transition your jog into a 100 yard sprint for about 10-20 seconds. Note: Gradually jogging into an all out sprint will help reduce the chance of pulling a muscle in the beginning of your workout.

4) Decrease your speed back down to a light jog for 1-2 minutes.

5) Sprint as hard as you can for 30 seconds. Note: Before your sprints, try to aim for a 5-7 second “faster jog” to allow for a smooth transition (the running start).

6) You will alternate sprinting and jogging for 15-20 minutes.

Note: Sprinting intervals are tough. It is natural for you to be out of breath after the first 10 seconds of sprinting. You will also begin to decrease in speed very quickly. Just keep working at it and you will eventually be able to sprint for much longer durations.

Steady State Cardio For Additional Fat Loss

The only time I recommend steady state cardio is when it is supplemented after some form of high intensity intervals. The moment your sprinting workout routine is complete, jogging for 10-20 minutes for a light to moderate pace will really help burn off that last bit of stubborn body fat.

Some Final Thoughts

Sprinting workouts like this should be done 3-4 times a week. Implementing intense cardio will transform your body in more ways than you can imagine. It boosts whole body fat loss while giving you a toned butt and thighs. This is why a sprinters body has the complete package.

Note: I highly recommend going into each workout on an empty stomach and waiting at least 1 hour afterwards to eat. This will maximize HGH release.

PinExt The Sprinters Body:Sprinting Workouts For A Toned Butt And Thighs

Comments

1. Excellent way of outlining a sprinting workout. I wish more people would get on this type of cardio than steady state cardio. I am not a fan of the latter and although sprinting is not easy, it sure beats doing one hour of jogging any day. Plus the results on lower body, muscle tone and fat loss are awesome.

-Sam

• thefitnesschronicle says:

@Raymond
      After my baseball career was finished, I had my mind set on never running ever again. We ran so much as pitchers and it was terrible. It was manly jogging for extended periods of time but I have since given in over the past year and decided to get back into sprinting because I know how beneficial it really is. I’m just not going to jog for hours on end. It’s boring and a waste of time.

@Sam
      It’s really cold out right now so I haven’t been able to get outside but you are right….more people do need to get with the program. Hanging on the ellipticals or exercise bikes while reading a book/magazine at the same time simply isn’t going to cut it. Sprinting workouts are really hard but your body will thank you.

2. Yep totally agree with this I found out too after trialling a lot of different cardio protocols … my favourite and I would recommend to anyone who wants a lean toned butt is sprinting and stairs (the only cardio machine I would do) or hill climbing ( especially if you can do it as a bush mountain walk.
    Raymond

3. JJ says:

Hi i left this post on another site with an almost identical topic, interested if anyone here can help too.

Im a size 8 in oz sizes which is pretty small, with a decent amount of fat on my butt for someone my size. It could be a great butt, but its not because of the gluteal fold side view. Im ready to try anything as far as excerices goes as nothing ive tried so far has worked. I was squatting daily with no changes. Im just having a hard time understanding how toning these muscles will help.
    Isnt it the overlying fat thats sagging over causing this deep fold? You cant tone fat. Ive also tried losing drastic amounts of weight til i was only 48kg thinking as the fat reduced so would the fold, i guess it did, but not enough. So ive put the weight back on so that i look normal again! Which makes me think its like a defect or something??
    Also there is a seam sort of thing between the hamstring and the gluteus maximus where it crosses it diagonally. So im not quite sure how toning these can make the change as they are not joined.
    Anyway im not saying you are wrong, i agree the sprinters i see on tv have great glutes. But just trying to understand if this could apply to me before i get my hopes up again. Any feedback appreciated!

• thefitnesschronicle says:

@ JJ
      I really appreciate your feedback. I am trying my best to understand what exactly the problem might be. Please message me back if I don’t give you a good enough answer. When you say “oz” are you talking about Australia? May sound like a dumb question but I want to make sure we are on the same terms. Anyways, just over 100 lbs is a light weight but it all depends on how tall you are.
      When you say “I put the weight back on again,” do you mean over your entire body, or is everything you gain localizing on your rear end? When you got down to 48kg(105 lbs) was your entire body lean except for your butt? I want to make sure I am reading your comment correctly. What kind of squats are you doing? Are they with heavy weights or bodyweight? Are your upper thigs big because of muscle or are they a little flabby? If you can give me a response with some of those questions I should be able to steer you in the right direction. Keep me updated and we’ll find a solution!!

• JJ says:

oh thanks for the reply! Yes im from Australia!
        Im 5ft4″ tall and currently 114lb which feels just right, aside from the butt issue.
        When i was 105lb and put the weight back on again to my current weight, to some extent a bit came on everywhere, but as my wrists are quite boney naturally & upper body quite thin, putting on the 4kg didnt make a huge difference there, i gained it back mainly in the butt. Thats where i store most of my fat.

My thighs arent muscley, but i havent got enough weight on them to look really flabby, but i guess it is flab and not muscle. Im very aware that you cant spot reduce fat, or even ‘tone’ as such, you can either lose or gain fat from wherever your body is predisposed to, or lose or gain muscle from working them/or not. I thought working my glutes, could somehow hold this butt fat in position!

Ive tried bodyweight squats endlessly but about a year ago I joined the gym and went religiously for 3 months 3 times a week to concentrate on butt only and was using the weighted squat machine (40kg) & lunge machine (20kg per leg) dont know the actual names of the machines. Was also doing squats and lunges with the bar on my shoulders. Im not an expert at this stuff but thought i would give it a good crack cos i seriously have a body which most people think looks good (when all my junk is jammed into something) but not for the life of me will i make that walk from the beach towel to the water in anything less than a pair of shorts. Im honeslty not just a critical female. I know im lacking structurally somehow.
        You story of sprinting sounds like a dream come true, could this be the solution for me? Im just trying to understand how toning the glutes will reduce this fold which seems to be made by fat hanging over or slipping down the thigh. My early googling of gluteal fold returned stories from plastic surgeons saying this could not be fixed with excercise, as you would expect them to say, and that it is a defect that needs a procedure to fix it. I would never resort to something like that, and 99.9999% sure i dont believe it, but just need some good info, as at every gym/and boot camp ive every joined, no trainer has every understood that spot fat reduction is not possible. And why are they getting obese people to do situps! Muscles arent flabby. I dont believe stomach muscles are just under there all loose and folded over. They must be taught right? Even with my butt, i can make my cheeks dance independently, so under all that fat, there must be a decent muscle? Thanks!

• thefitnesschronicle says:

@JJ
          I’m glad you responded because you are definitely on the right track with your observations. You are right, I don’t know what trainers are thinking sometimes! Yes, I do believe that sprinting intervals are the solution for you…but only to a point. First things first…
          1) I would suggest that you drop direct leg work completely. (I did this a few years ago and have never looked back) That means I don’t want you to use weighted machines, squats, lunges, etc. Don’t feel like you are breaking a “fitness law” by doing so. I can almost guarantee that you have plenty of muscle in your lower body. HIIT sprinting intervals will take care of your lower body workouts.
          2) The most aggressive approach to losing the “junk in the trunk” is simply through diet. Unfortunately your lower body is the last place for the weight to come off. I would strongly suggest Eat Stop Eat and checking out my article on Fungus
          Eat Stop Eat is an amazing summary of Brad Pilon’s master thesis on the benefits of intermittent fasting for fat loss. It also debunks a lot of fitness myths out there in regards to losing fat. A lot of my “Fat Loss” articles are around the fasting principles. The article on “Is There A Fungus Link To Weight Loss” explains why certain foods/antibiotics/mold can actually cause you to gain weight even without overeating. There is a book at the bottom of the page that explains it in detail. If you don’t want to buy the book I’m sure you could check it out from a local library.

Remember, think diet first. Exercise is there to compliment and facilitate your diet. If your eating habits are out of control, working out like crazy to fix it is simply going to leave you tired and frustrated. Please keep me updated on how you are doing and I will make sure you are going in the right direction. Don’t ever feel like you are asking too many questions.
          Oh and I’m jealous… I love Australia!

• Herc says:

“No trainer has every understood that spot fat reduction is not possible”
          It actually is, to some degree. If you exhaust the glycogen stores, say in your abdominal muscles by doing a moderate to intense set of weighted incline situps, just prior to some HIIT or other method of intense cardio(sprinting is great no matter the routine, as long as your winded, sweating, heart pounding, perceived exertion at 10, etc, for an ample amount of time), your body is still going take energy systematically from the energy stores in the body, but since youve already exhausted your primary energy stores(glucose from glycogen stores) in your abs from the situps, most of what remains there for energy during your sprinting routine is fat. That and bloodflow to the area has already been increased before you start the high energy demanding cardio routine.
          Dont expect your actual muscle gain (in terms of strength) in the area ur attempting to spot reduce using this method to be anything close to optimum however. Interference principle wont allow for optimum muscle development when cardio is preceded by resistance training. But shaping/sculpting/toning, which it sounds like is what youre going for, comes primarily from fat loss anyway; subcutaneous and intra-musclular alike.

“Even with my butt, i can make my cheeks dance independently…”
          … gave me a nice visual reading that, thanks :-) dont see why u would shy away from wearing a bikini at the beach… as far as physical attraction goes, the average guy values a tone sexy butt on a girl more than almost any other attribute i can think of. Its not the size, its the shape that matters most, we actually prefer a nice degree of difference between the “cheek to thigh projection ratio”. But the cheeks gotta curve outward and then back in to the upper thigh, like miniture basketballs. Only way u get that, along with avoiding the consumtion of too much sugar (refined carbohydrates in general), is by running, not jogging, but full out running. Youre female, starting at puberty, you have natural structural fat stores that develope as emergency energy stores for nurturing unborn babies. Women naturally have “booties”, theres fat back there and it shapes ur butt beautifully; the harder you work, the harder you use it, the better itl look, but the structural fat should never be “worked” or “starved” away. Some natural selection mechansim im sure, maybe it shows us you could be a good mom someday cuz youre used to workin ur a$$ off, lol..
          Point is, dont be so hard on urself, based on the stats you provided, u sound hot, lol

• Aundre says:

Many many qultaiy points there.

4. JJ says:

Thanks, will definately get started on the HIIT sprinting.
    As far as my diet goes i think its very good. Not to say it cant be improved. I extremely rarely consume ‘junk foods’ and sweets. I come from a family of vegetarians and legumes and vegetables make up a huge part of my diet. I eat lots of nuts and advocados too but i dont over eat or consume too many calories, i also dont crave much of anything. I usually dont consume more than 1200 calories a day if im not active. Not that i check my calories daily or even monthly, but i eat very consistently and know what i am putting into my body. If it changes i re-evaluate.
    I eat meat occasionally as im not convinced either way as to whether we were ‘meant’ to or not. As of the last year or so ive stopped eating dairy just because i feel animal milk is a weird thing to consume, and eggs well kinda too. Whether thats right or wrong who knows. But i have no fear of not getting enough protein or calcium and am not going to give into the scaremongering or what most people believe is right because “THEY say you have to”. I try to eat how i think we were ‘meant’ to eat to some extent or used to eat pre-agriculture. Ive read about intermittent fasting before too, and i think this is probably the way we used to eat when we had to hunt/gather it ourselves. I do eat grains and pastas though so i will definatley look into the Fungus issue more.

As for the fat on my butt im not sure that its excessive and that i need to lose it, just anchor it somehow! haha..
    As far as excercise goes, im with you that diet is the important foundation. Ive realised that my 3 month outbursts i have occasionally to be the fittest person alive is just that. Which is why i eat as healthily and consistently as i do. No point being the fittest, and then the fattest when you stop. I think of excercise as a bonus for when i have the time to, although i would like it to be more often as i think that keeps us healthy too.
    I just cant help but wonder though, when you see a woman with a fatty/fleshy perky butt, what is holding that fat up?!! If there was no fat it would look like a body builders butt. Anyhow! i guess its not possible to get to the bottom of how everything works, so ill will just have to get over the hopeless feeling and try yet another thing. Thanks so much for your replies and lets hope these sprints give me a lift!

5. JJ says:

just popped back to ask you something about the fungus thing and saw what i wrote about pre-agriculture. Made me laugh cos in no way would the variety of grains & legumes that i eat now have been available to me then! Studying too many different things and forgetting what on earth im on about! About the grains/yeast etc. Have you completely eliminated these from your diet yet or is this a work in progress? Just wondering where else one would get enough calories from? more protein & nuts etc?

• thefitnesschronicle says:

@JJ
      I don’t know what the food is like in Australia, but a “normal” American diet is complete junk and heavily contaminated by fungus. Foods like corn, peanuts, sugar, yeast, and wheat are in almost everything. So I follow more of a low carb to moderate/high protein diet but with some exceptions. This will help me starve and kill fungal overgrowth that is causing weight gain and disease. I guess this would be considered a work in progress, but for a lifetime. I am currently writing an article that outlines exactly what to follow(3 phases).
      Phase 1 is designed to starve the fungi while implementing antifungal foods to kill them off. Example antifungal foods(carrots, green apples, lemons, limes, broccoli, and most vegetables)…there are a lot more. Then in “Phase 2″ you can begin to reintroduce foods like oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, etc.
      This type of eating could be very difficult for vegetarians. When vegetarians cut out meat, a diet high in carbohydrates(grains, sugar, bread, etc) is what they are left with. I’m not saying all vegetarians are unhealthy… but the vast majority that I have met are constantly sick or overweight.

• thefitnesschronicle says:

@JJ
        One more thing, if you want to dive into this topic right away and don’t want to wait on me to post on “Fungus” then I highly recommend that you observe http://www.knowthecause.com

• JJ says:

hey thanks for all the info.
        Im not vegetarian myself, 2 of my family members are though.
        I dont want to start a huge vegetarian right or wrong discussion, and i know you were talking about trying to eat fungus free, but to say the majority of vegetarians you know are constantly sick or overweight is just that, an observation based on the ones you know.
        Maybe thats all you were trying to say. But i know alot of people that are constantly sick and overweight purely because they eat too much, whether they are vegetarian or omnivores.

Aside from thyroid problems & medication side effects (which i know nothing about), excess calories is the number 1 reason why people are overweight. When vegetarians take meat out of their diets what are they left with you ask? everything but meat! so they replace the protein with other sources. Beans is the huge one, Nuts, Quinoa, even Dairy. All of which alot of omnivores eat too.
        Theres people who dont know how to be healthy vegetarians and when they cut out meat have no idea what to replace it with and eat crap. Perhaps they dont even eat vegies! And then theres omnivores who eat meat plus crap and maybe no vegies. Its about good food knowledge and eating the right amount. The fungus in foods (which i still dont know much about) might be a way to tweak a persons diet if they have it already under control. But the Huge vegetarian/omnivore that wont fit through the doorway just needs to eat less!

• thefitnesschronicle says:

@JJ
          You are correct…I am only speaking from the vegetarians that I personally know. I guess I should have explained a little better with the comment “what are vegetarians left with.” I understand that they get their protein from other sources, but what I found is that once meat is taken out of the equation people are highly inclined to eat foods that are high in sugar/grains. Now, this isn’t always the case. There are always exceptions to the rule. This was just an ongoing observation when I interacted with vegans and vegetarian from forums and other sites. I think the “fungus” section of my site will clear up a lot of questions over time for people. I just want to make sure that people understand that going vegetarian isn’t any healthier than someone who eats meat. But… they both can gain weight and suffer from disease if the fungus issue is not addressed. I’m very proud that you “get it” when it comes to people flat out overeating. People always underestimate how much food they actually consume. So you nailed it. People do in fact need to eat less. You can gain weight on “healthy” food too if you eat too much. Great to hear from you!